Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

It's unavoidable

"I could just kill myself!"

"I would rather take a bullet to the brain!"

I don't think one notices the prevalance of these types of expressions in our vernacular until you've had a loved one kill themself in this manner.

I cringe when I hear these comments - especially when the kids are present.

People mean no harm by them, of course.  These statements are just a way of expressing how strongly someone feels about a situation.

Lily had to go to the counselor's office at school last week because there was a story (that 4th graders were reading!) where someone got shot in the head.

She got visibly upset and the teacher, fortunately, knew what was going on and excused her.

I know with time we will all have less of a visceral reaction to hearing these comments but for right now I am going to feel nauseous everytime I hear Lily innocently dancing to "Livin' La Vida Loca".

"She will take away your pain...like a bullet to the brain."

I keep debating whether to tell her the song makes me uncomfortable - thus drawing attention to a line she hasn't deciphered yet - or just let her enjoy being 9 and dancing to a catchy song.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one is tough...people thoughtlessly stick their index finger their temple, and pull the 'trigger' all the time. I never noticed how often, until after my brother's death.

Constantly thinking of you all lately, approaching another holiday season... <3
-Tiffany

Heather said...

Let her dance and be a kid. The grown up stuff can wait. :-)

{{Hugs}} to you and the L's this holiday season.