Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thank You Sun

Last night I thanked the sun.

I found myself in a sunny, secluded section of the backyard on a sublime Colorado day - 72 degrees, blue-blue sky, puffy white clouds and the gorgeous life-giving sun.

When I found myself in this spot it literally brought me to my knees. Then it brought me straight to the earth.

I laid on my stomach giving the earth a hug. Laying still allowed me to focus on the noises around me: the birds, a stray voice in the neighborhood, a distant lawn mower.

The warm sun.

Thank you. Thank You, Sun. I love you. I know why our ancestors worshipped you.

Thank you for all you give.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry that humans have done this.

I'm sorry that we can't see the canary in the coal mine - the bees dying, the polar bears drowning, the whales and seals and penguins turning up in the wrong place - confused by the changes in the water, the food, the world.

I will no longer put chemicals on my skin to fight your rays. I will cover my skin with hats and cloth but I will not put chemicals on my body.

Thank you. Thank you.

No comments: